Re: Scorpion Hall

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:44:53 +0200

> > >You could try a Final Action, but Skeletons aren't likely to give you the
>> >chance (unless you play them as automatons that don't attack dead
>heroes).
>>
>> Since you can always attempt to withdraw from a contest, i don't see
>> why you shouldn't be allowed a final action to escape a coup de grace
>> (as long as you are conscious and reasonably free to move). Otherwise
>> the death toll on player heroes could become quite high.
>
>Remember, he has already lost (-7 AP). If he were at 1AP he could try to
>withdraw under that rule, but you can't when you've already been defeated.

Read what i write. When do you attempt a Final Action? After you've been defeated, that's when.

>Actually, the Skeletons can't CdG the hero at this point - he's not at -10
>or less. If the Skeletons were of the sort to take prisoners, it would be a
>reasonable thing to do, but I view them as mindless hack & slashers (I've
>known players like that!) that will make sure that he's down. However, they
>*can* do a Parting Shot on him.

And the defeated guy can resist that parting shot by attempting to escape, no? C'mon, he isn't even Hurting.

>Part of the problem lies in the mindlessness of the Skeletons - there is
>no-one there to tell them "kill" or "capture". So, IMG they would simply
>kill as the "default" command. If the skeletons simply "turn off" when the
>hero goes down, I'd allow a Final Action to sneak away.

There's a difference between sneaking away and actively escaping. If you successfully escape your aggressor after you've been defeated, doesn't mean you become undefeated, it merely means that you aren't killed off.

>Scorpion Hall *does* kill off player characters, whether under RQ or HW.

Scorpion Hall might be ever so lethal; it still can't stop you from attempting an escape from gratuitous post-defeat killings as long as you aren't unconscious.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]