Re: Me Dazed..

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:49:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/11/00 9:40:24AM, you write: RR
<< >He can use "Run Away" as his "defensive" move, certainly. He cannot
>*initiate* such a move, however.

MR
 Do you by this mean that the defeated guy can't initiate a new/other contest?

RR
>(don't kill me, I've got a ransom" - start a
>new contest using your bargain/fast talk/whine vrs their "Homocidal Mania"
>perhaps...)

MR
 This suggest you don't. So, i'm happy. The defeated guy can initiate  an Escaping/Running away contest with the skeletons.   >>

I think this was the crux of the problem; could I start another contest (running away/negotiate/play dead/whatever) or was I skeleton meat (if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor) ?. I had this guy, on -7AP, lost the combat, dazed, [and suffering a wound from some poison, (oh and smelling badly of skunk oil)], but otherwise OK. According to the rules, I couldn't do anything; no final action. The skeletons couldn't do a CDG 'cos I wasn't -10. What happened next. It seemed to me that I had lost the contest, the skeletons could do do what they had wanted to do (kill me) - the end. This would be OK, but why have Coup De Grace rule? If I were Narrating this then no problem, but strictly by the rules in a SoloQuest I thought it a bit odd and it seemed sensible for me to have another contest; escape from skeletons, although to quote from the adventure:

"Once in the melee, there is no backing out."

Thanks for the feedback though. I prepare to re-enter the dread Castle!

Keith N