Re: Re: zombies

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:33:20 +0100

Thomas Bagwell wrote:
> I like the 'going negative' fighting ability.
> It seems a much better description of what's happening than armor or
> defense.

Report to the Rule Paradigm Police for re-indoctrination, and repeat the mantra 'APs are not HPs' ;-).

If HW tries to model the drama of a combat, rather than 'what is happening' per se, then one needs to step back a little.

You say:
> a really high armor... doesn't feel right.
> After all, they're easy to hit, and
> your weapon just chops into them...

Even in RQ, layers of blubber could be modelled as armour. Your weapons would chop into a blubbery creature, too.

The important point is that your chopping of the zombie has less effect, on your progress to victory, than an otherwise equivalent monster. But chopping a monster wearing a suit of armour is likewise less effective. Physically, the flesh of a zombie and a suit of armour are very different. But their effects on opposing your progress to victory are (arguably) somewhat similar, and so are (arguably) well modelled by the same HW rule mechanics.