The Whole Scorpion Hall Thing

From: TheCam_at_...
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 01:59:01 EDT

Mikael:

>In that case, no one who has been defeated in combat
>can try to flee which seems Highly Odd to me.

It seems to me that you should try to flee *before* you're defeated in combat.

Being reduced to 0 AP in any contest (combat or otherwise) means that you are defeated. Not dead. Not even necessarily unconscious (although being at a high negative implies it). In the case of a sentient opponent, this could mean being captured and gloated over (giving the captured Hero a chance to escape) or even ransomed. In the case of a non-sentient but living creature (bear, wolf, etc.), they would react based on instinct (choose whatever is appropriate for the particular creature: wolves start eating, bear sniffs & walks away, etc.) In the case of an automaton (like the skeleton), they do whatever is programmed. Unfortunately, since Scorpion Hall is a solo-adventure (designed for a different system, regardless of world), it does not have the benefit of taking into account every possibility. What was the skeleton programmed to do if it won? Slice & dice? Drag the defeated opponent to a holding cell? Nothing?

As I noted above, Scorpion Hall was designed for a different set of rules. Unless a supplement is designed to be multi-system, it's hard to translate without some fudging. Although, what happens in RQ if the skeleton takes you to 0 hp? You certainly don't get a chance to flee in that case...

Camo