Re: Changing objectives

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:16:11 +0200

> > I'm a bit wary of 'changing objectives'. Do you mean withdrawal from a
>contest?
>
>I'm going to agree with Mikaal (shock!) here. Just because I've changed *my*
>objectives, my opponent may not have changed his, so I, too, am wary of
>"changing objectives" as a way of reducing the results of combat.

(Roderick, i've seen you spell my name 'Mikaal' quite a few times now. It's still Mikael.)

Yes. Changing objectives within a contest is a Bad Thing, since the nature of a contest is determined by what you set out to do. Changing objectives changes the contest.

>I kind of like Philip's suggestion that a person fighting a MKM/Below-0 type
>can fight on until one or the other is dead (-40), but that is a personal
>preference, not a Issaries Official opinion.

(I think that was actually my suggestion (i did post such a suggestion, and i don't recall seeing a similar suggestion from Philip).)

Yes, i think it works quite nicely. A bitter, gruesome fight to the very end between unyielding or desperate opponents. Sensible entities don't fight like that (which, i think, is one of the reasons contests end when the defeated is still unhurt).

On a related note, someone said that whoever is at 0 AP is too battered, bruised, exhausted and dazed to continue combat. I don't think that is altogether true.

In my mind it works like this: if you reach 0 AP you have lost the will to pursue your objective further because you realize it is a forlorn hope; the opposition is too strong. Why else would you be defeated while you are still none the worse for wear?

Defeat is mostly in the mind. If you have lost hope of succeeding, you are already defeated (unless you get a transfer from your opponent's parting shot, and realize there is still chance).

> > * I note that the rules for withdrawing from a contest (p138) is
>> hopelessly confusing.
>
>They were hopelessly confusing when I got the manuscript, as I remember...

Then i suppose Greg is to blame, as usual. You said nothing about my suggested 'clarification'; shall i take that as tacit agreement (wishful thinking, most likely)?

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]