Re: Changing objectives

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:48:50 +0200

> > My point here re: CdG or MKM killing frenzy is that the character
>> is defeated insofar as his objective is concerned, but when the
>> opposition tries to actually kill him his survival motivation kicks
>> in.
>>
>> Whether that manifests in pleading for mercy, running away or a
>> desperation attack (Final Action) is another matter.
>
>Still trying to understand your take on this... it seems like you're
>saying he was defeated until he perceives that his attacker actually
>means to kill him, and then he becomes undefeated because he didn't
>really mean it... ;-)

He has given up on reaching his objective; not on life itself.

>Why would he ever assume that his opponent -wasn't- trying to kill
>him? Not a healthy state of mind to enter combat in...especially
>against MKMs....

IMG, most combats are not to the death. I'm obviously not as bloodthirsty a Narrator as you lot...

>Are you running this as an unrelated action to escape?

And with 'this' i suppose you mean attempts to escape from Certain Death? Yes, i resolve it as an unrelated action (simple contest).

> Changing the
>objective?

Only if it also means 'new contest'. Never change objectives within the same contest. Leads to all kinds of weirdness.

> What if the winning attacker isn't through yet, can he
>keep the character from changing the objective?

If the winning attacker don't want loser to escape, he can resist the attempt to escape.

>It still seems like this attempts to 'survive' and stay alive by
>running away should be attempted before reaching 0 AP. By that time
>it's too late.

IMHW, 0 AP doesn't generally mean 'helpless'. Hence not too late.

>A lot of this sounds like it's intended to be an
>'escape hatch' to allow the character to escape death when defeated.

Yes, it's intended for attempts to avoid gratuitous killing.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]