Re: Changing objectives

From: Thomas Bagwell <tnbagwell_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 05:29:47 -0000

Actually, I agree with this. However, I don't believe any real warrior would ever enter combat with a foe and expect the foe -not- to try to kill him. This isn't bloodthirsty, just conservative common sense.

> >Are you running this as an unrelated action to escape?
>
> And with 'this' i suppose you mean attempts to escape from Certain
> Death? Yes, i resolve it as an unrelated action (simple contest).

If this occurs after dropping below 0 AP do you apply a penalty to it?

> >A lot of this sounds like it's intended to be an
> >'escape hatch' to allow the character to escape death when
> >defeated.
>
> Yes, it's intended for attempts to avoid gratuitous killing.

I think this depends on the mindset of the GM. I never engage in "gratuitous killing". However, I think I understand your point of view now. Personally, I disagree, although I may change my mind when I get a chance to actually run the game. Actually, I'll probably work in a blending of approaches. Our views are the same apart from the fact that what I would insist be done -before- reaching 0 AP, you feel is fine if done afterward. I will probably allow such attempts as you describe if the situation seems fitting, though...with appropriate penalties...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss it, though. It's helped me work through some of the concepts.

Tom Bagwell