Simulationistic vs. Cinematic

From: Dick Kingman <rtkingman_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:58:09 -0400

The following are some thoughts I have had after reading some of the various discussions the last few weeks. And as a standard disclaimer: Your Gloranthan May Vary (mine certainly does based on some of the examples I have seen).

Simulationistic vs. Cinematic: (this is very definite all IMHO) I found these discussions very interesting from the sidelines. While I grant that if you are the correct type of player/narrator, Hero Wars will give you lots of flexibility to describe and enact all sorts of interesting combats. However, for me the AP bid is intrusive and the AP mechanics hinder my "suspension of disbelief". In RQ or Pendragon, I say "I swing my sword" or "I shoot an arrow". In HW, I say "I swing my sword and I bid 7AP" or "I shoot an arrow and I bid 10AP". I know that the mechanics are generally simpler in HW after that, but the mechanics of the other games don't bother me. Maybe because as I play them, they become second nature. In HW, the general lack of injury during combat, except to the defeated party, I find hard (impossible) to accept. Even if a normal warrior with 17AP loses 15AP in a single shot, it is a hurt, which will be gone in a day, unless it is healed before then. Followers drop like flies, but if you win, they are all fine again. Does Harrek ever lose any followers in combat? How?

(Nodwick and his fellow henchmen of the Henchmen's Guild would love HW.) :-)

Dick