RE: Help with Uleria

From: Weihe, David <Weihe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:42:54 -0400

> From: Mikko Rintasaari [mailto:mikrin_at_...]
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Weihe, David wrote:
> > Heortlings or non-Shargashi DH: Gradual onset of
> > Impotence, and an invisible aura that causes
> > a negative reaction from any woman, probably
> > excepting Yelorna or Yelmalians.
>
> Right on for the Heortlings. But aren't the Dara Happans just the sort
> of anal retentive patriarchal scum that would say such things?

I have no doubt that Yelmic nobility feel that, but they would no more voice it than would Plato have mentioned the goddess Hecate in a deprecating fashion. They would be afraid of the possible effects, since after all their status depends partly on displaying their own fertility by siring children on their wives and concubines. They may refer to individuals worshippers as "whore" and/or "strumpet" but probably refer to Her as in as oblique a fashion as possible, to avoid giving any offence.

Also, I expect that the non-sexual aspects of Uleria are emphasized in DH. I believe that the Entekosiad has a story of a priestess who excessively emphasized those aspects to the exclusion of Her sexual role, until one day She manifested and promptly began displaying Her sexual Aspect, wildly copulating with Lodril (I believe) for quite some time in full view of the populace, to remind people of Her first concern. Obviously such a cautionary story only becomes popular if it warns against a common or dangerous problem, such as over-emphasis on Philos and Agape to the exclusion of Eros.

The Lodrili would not speak ill of her, since they are quite into the Lustful character trait, themselves. If one did, he would display the ill effects at least as strongly as any Heortling.

The Buserians wouldn't pay enough attention to them (except that they pay taxes on their commerce) to mention Her, except in Her celestial aspects.

Shargash explicitly has a strong fertility Aspect, and so I doubt that they would speak ill of Her, although they would naturally not want their sisters to become members.