Re: Idea for missle combat/Fun new combat approach !!!!

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:38:38 -0000

I also considered location results, but not randomly rolled. I was considering a penalty to hit a specified location (maybe -3 for a limb, -5 for the head, etc) - more like GURPS than RQ :) Get a Wound (convert 7 AP) and get a small extra result. In my experience (reenactment & live roleplay) hits are more or less random, as you suggest, but I consider these to be the light, general wounds. A serious wound to disable a location is more difficult to set up.

> The Actor with the missle weapon uses a simple contest
> to determine a result - their opponent can use an appropiate skill
> (have to think about that a bit)

It seems a bit srrange to me that I have a greater chance to break my bow ( an even which has happened to me once in reality!) the better my opponent is at dodging, or whatever. Nonetheless interesting.

> This allows damage to be inflicted to an opponent without
> resorting to extended contests for missles.
> It also allows missles to have an impact without dominating.

Well, unless you ban head hits with your system, I think it WOULD dominate!

> In normal combat - if the actor chooses to inflict a wound, a
> location is also rolled. If a location has two wounds => injured
> location, three wounds => incapacitiated location.

Presumably using the old RQ locations?

> not all combats are a fight to 0 AP!!!

Well, not all combats are a fight to 0 Hit Points, but all combats are a fight to 0 AP (unless someone runs away). The problem here is you've overlaid one system on top of another. Incapacitation is represented by loss of AP, but you can have a character incapacitated but at virtually full AP! Get a good few of head hits and you can kill (? is an incapacitated head dead?) with almost full AP!

However, I was also working on a location damage system, so I can't criticise too much :)

Wulf