Re: Help with Uleria

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:08:44 +1000

Dave Bailey:
> On the subject of Uleria, how can I wean my players off calling
Uleria "the temple of whores and strumpets"

What culture are your players? Not Heortling I hope...

I've always played Ulerians in a similar fashion to the Priestess who assisted Gilgamesh. She was not some prostitute, (despite the rash of bad Victorian translators) but effectively a businesswoman who assisted strangers coming to a new area - introducing them to movers and shakers, providing all the comforts of home, and using her extensive network of contacts to arrange business and trade deals. Very high class, very well respected, a woman of wealth and power.

Very Ulerian.

You may need to challenge your players' ideas of the nature of Heortling sexuality as well. Women are tough, equals, and culturally the source of wealth. Sexuality is of the Earth, and its revered, not something to be bought or be afraid of. While Orlanthi sexuality has its fair share of kinks, the entire idea of 'prostitute' as we understand it is a problematic one unless you apply a number of cultural filters. Part of the challenge and reward of roleplaying - experiencing the world in a new way. :)

I don't believeUleria should be given healing for exactly the same reason that White Ladies don't have access to fertility magic or infertility cures.

John

nysalor_at_...                           John Hughes
johnp.hughes_at_...

The heroes filled their drinking cups with wine Sainted with water, which is best, and sipped; And what in them was noble, grew;
And truthfulness, with many meanings, spread Over the slopes and through the leafy spears As Priam thrust the knife into the white lamb's throat.

                              Christopher Logue - War Music.