Re: Idea for missle combat

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:24:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 philip.hibbs_at_... wrote:

> >If he tried to close then he has forced you to
> >enter a new close combat contest. Perhaps to
> >your great surprise (penalties to your close
> >combat ability from the first contest).
>
> So how does this contest proceed? Do you carry forward AP losses? If so,
> the archer starts off already defeated, if not, then the archer has
> achieved nothing unless he took the "wound" option. There's no precedent in
> the Hero Wars rules for continuing a contest by restarting a new one - it's
> the same contest, but different skills are being used.

I would treat it as two seperate contests. In the first contest the charging character is trying to close. If he succeeds, he still have to chop the archer to mince; new contest. The archer on the other hand gets two chances at killing the other guy.

> It's much simpler,
> IMO, to stick to the standard contest rules, but fix the archery problem by
> giving archery a big edge. There's no need to invent new rules when the
> existing ones can be made to function adequately.

I don't think this could be called new rules at all. Say you are sneaking past the kings bodyguards to kill the king. How many contests is that? I would play it as two contests (sneaking and combat). It is certainly possible to play it as just one contest. But it is hardly 'inventing new rules' to play it as two seperate contests. One contest to enable another; happens all the time.

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen