Re: Re: Berserk OTT!!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:24:37 -0400

Jarec Basham wrote:

> Last night the party were fighting a band of Trollkin and winning
> very easily. The player, a Humakti, rolled for berserk and failed the
> roll. So he then used a Hero Point to force a success and go Berserk.

Useful. I prefer to use my HP for other things.

You've checked the eratta for Beserk, I presume? I think it was reduced to 1/4 the Affinity? (my browser won't open at the moment, grrr!)

> With two levels of mastery he was routinely getting a critical
> against the Trollkin and gaining AP at a frightening rate. This seems
> to be the case, a successful berserker with mastery gains AP almost
> exponentially, like a sponge for the AP in the combat.

Possible. But remember, you can't use Close Combat to deal with someone hitting you with gouts of hail or disease or.. oh, myraiad of things.

You don't gain additional masteries when beserk, other than the massive edge you get. Currently, we find that 1/4 of the *affinity* works well.

> He's already killed the leader of the Hidden Gale during a Berserk
> frenzy and they were on the same side at the time.

And this didn't cause the group trouble?!?!?!?! I think I can think of an amazing number of problems that could happen with this.

Man, that's as good a reason for not going beserk as I can think of.

Their relationships should suffer as a *group* because they are harbouring a dangerous, concontrolled maniac. Killling an ally in a fight is very bad.

> I'm increasingly inclined to not allow the use of Hero Points for
> affinity/feat rolls just to stop this kind of thing. If your Gods not
> listening then shouting won't help.
>
> Jarec

I'm not sure about this. There are far more interesting ways to penalize a berserk than this. A few have been given by other listmembers but you're hitting him where he's STRONGEST. Try other avenues.

And slaughtering, say, a bunch of helpless people in teh throes of berserk would probably work. Say, perhaps, the people he was to protect...? And if he's dumped all his points into Close combat, he's arrow and magic meat.

What about a spell -- that confuses friend with foe.... (grin) Afterall, he's got a reputation as a berserker...

Jeff