Re: New Person

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:02:34 -0000

The HeroWars group has been set up for questions regarding Glorantha the world, while this hw-rules group is more focused on understanding the HW rules system.

> 2) Is ther more info on the Dwarves? I am not fully understanding
> whether Mostali are referred to as Dwarves, or if "Iron Dwarves"
> are just dwarves following the path of Iron, in hopes of becoming
> Iron Motsali.

Think of the Mostali as robots designed for a perfect and simple world of physics and sorcery which did exist once. Unfortunately for them, this world crashed into the worlds of myth, magic, Theists, Animists, Mystics, Dragons etc.. The most intelligent original Mostali designed the Clay Mostali (commonly called Dwarves) as an accommodation with (or reaction to) this new composite world. Unfortunately for the Dwarves, the original Mostali were almost all destroyed when the Spike blew up.

The Dwarves (for the most part) still have this robotic idealism but do not have the flexible intelligence required to deal with the world as it is. The Dwarves actually do have very (even extremely) high intelligence but each of them is fixated on their own specific task, most of which are unintelligible to the outside world. Many also have a completely useless hobby such as "sandstone statue polishing" (and do not understand why that polishing wears the statue away). Through their fixations and due to their immortality, many Dwarves achieve ability ratings unimaginable to the other races without the use of heroquesting and other significant magic. Also, their equipment and technology are the best in Glorantha. Their society is based on timetables and very narrow responsibilities (think "jobsworths"). An unscheduled event or accident throws a complete spanner in their works.

An Iron Dwarf is one bred to deal with the outside world, usually with weapons, and has a hatred of growing stuff (i.e. almost everything except rock) and a complete lack of understanding of the ways of the other races. The other types of Dwarves each have a different role in society. A Dwarf that achieves perfection in their role becomes a Diamond Dwarf of that type (Diamond Iron Dwarf for example).

Orthordox Dwarves are not really suitable for player characters. Dwarves of the Individualistic Heresy might just about be playable but they are still seriously screwed up and weird.

> 3) Is the Issaries e-mail going to be up anytime soon?
We can but hope...

> I am also working on some HW miniature rules for when the PC's
> decide to lead an army (one of mine in RQ did).
In my opinion the HW system already has everything required for miniatures rules, apart from conversion tables telling you how to generate the ratings and APs for each unit's abilities. This has been promised but I believe it is taking a back seat until 3 or 4 more books are released. I hope to learn more at Convulsion.

regards,
Charles

PS welcome to the group