Re: Re: Berserk OTT!!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:28:28 -0400

> Nor, in his (your Narrator's) defence, do they work as well if you, as
> player, have designed, or now play, a character without a background.
> Think on these: has he ever had a pet? Has he any brothers or sisters?
> Are his parents alive (and if not, has he had anything to do with
> that?)? Has he any fears or passions? Or is he just a combat monster?
> HW does not suit combat monsters, as there's no inherent balance in
> the character design. If he is one, dump him, or have him killed off
> in a blaze of glory. Bring back his more interesting younger
> brother...
>
> Wulf

Once upon a time, John Wick asked me this: Ask him what his mother's name was. And then proceed from there.

Its trite, but it seems to work for me, at least. If nothing else, dealing with the consequences of one's actions should take up a lot of time. Perhaps my group is different, but we don't spend a lot of time in combat. It makes a refreshing change from Warhammer, frex.

Re: Points -- you should be getting 3-8 points a session (depending on how the Narrator interpets the awards section. I give 1-5 for mission success, 0-3 for roleplay and 1 for the 'clever dick award.' And still I wonder if I'm being too generous (but I want character advancement).

Also -- recall Roderick's commment that you cannot *stack* gifts/geases like you could in the old game. If nothing else, this does encourage the humakti to take other gifts rather than the endless +5 Sword and Shield we used to see...

Getting a 17w in a few sessions is a not a terribly unexpected achievement, especially with the skill costing 1/3/6/10 for +1 to +4 in a session. (Start with 5w, +5 Sword and Shield for gift, +2/session...) But with all the skills going into combat, it leaves him vulnerable in oh, so many other ways. What about going to the fair? Or trying to petition the Chief for status as a thane? But others have posted quite a few good ideas (some of which I will be absconding with as I have a Humakti as well -- though he doesn't go berserk nearly as much -- he's a colder, grimer Death's Man.)

Basically, the berserk should be challenged in other ways. And dogpiling a berserker with scads of followers and a TOUGH opponent works in my experience. That multiple attacker penalties add up nicely. Berserk, as I recall, adds an edge, not to the close combat ability. My own feel is that it adds based on your magic, so with a 17 (or even a 1w) combat, you should 'only' get a +5 edge which is only useful on the attack.

Bigfoot:

> I went beserk and during combat i killed 3 gaurds and the artist , agreed i
> proberaly could have do it with out going beserk but what the hey.

"But what the hey"... Sounds like an incipent Uroxi or Urain to me. Violence is always an option but when its the ONLY option, things get very dicey. Gagarth, of course, would always be happy to have a new friend. He likes outlaws.

Bigfoot:

> Just to make another thing clear okay i spent 2% of all my hero points
> gained on preventing failed rolls , 97% on increasing my combat ability and
> 1% on rasing my death afinity. Yes at the moment my chacater is striving to
> asatain a certian level in his combat ability , ok call is powergaming or
> whatever , but i stated this at charcatre gen , i wanted my charcter to
> become the clans best warrior and i hope to get there so i do what i feel is
> best.

Hmmm. That's a lot of HP's for 7 sessions, if your math is correct. Mind you, my group spends about 20% of their HP on bump-ups, either to crush their foes or to survive bad dice. On HeroQuest, its almost essential to pack along a small bag full of HP's as failure is just so vile.

You are the clan's best warrior, but I'd be very interested in seeing how long the Clan wants you... (To save the Tula, we had to destroy it). Far more than RQ and almost any other game, HW Heroes are creatures of their communities. Without a community, one tends to die of diesase, starvation, wandering spirits or bagpipe abuse.

Jeff