Re: Re: Berserks

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:36:53 -0400

> >Last night the party were fighting a band of Trollkin and winning
> >very easily. The player, a Humakti, rolled for berserk and failed the
> >roll. So he then used a Hero Point to force a success and go Berserk.
>
> In our games HP have to be declared before the dice roll. That is a house rule and it works quite well for us. It changes the HP away from being a "Get out of Death Free" token.

An interesting variant but a bit too lethal when we tried it...

> >With two levels of mastery he was routinely getting a critical
> >against the Trollkin and gaining AP at a frightening rate. This seems
> >to be the case, a successful berserker with mastery gains AP almost
> >exponentially, like a sponge for the AP in the combat.
>
> This depends on what he is fighting. Have a zorak zorani berserk show up and watch them hack each other to death.

This si what happened to our Humakti. I used the Court Case from RQ: Vikings. During the Holmgang, the evil, criminal Uroxi berserker brother showed up. The two of them went at it like hammer and tongs. The Uroxi died. The Humakti was critically injured.... One player (who was taking bets at the time) said it was like watching chainsaws mating.

> We have a berserk in our campaign (a Yinkini if you'd believe it) and he has never managed to soak up AP like that. He keeps doing things like charging a Lunar shield wall on his own. Or attacking a 20' demon with his claws while we were all deciding if we wanted to flee.

Yes! Yes! A berserk who actually acts like one. Far too many 'berserkers' only use the dangerous magic when the opposition is not overwhelming rather than like the last ditch magic it is -- for the Humakti (IMHO). Uroxi, use it as a matter of course.

> Wesley

Nice campaign, btw.

Jeff