Berserking Revisited

From: Jarec Basham <jarec_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:27:58 -0000

Hi all,

I haven't been avoiding the Berserker thread honest. I've been busy doing my own berserking (well Convulsing anyway).

Firstly thanks to all your good advice and some long talks with people at Convulsion my Humakti player now better understands the path of Humakt and will hopefully walk more fully upon it in the future.

One of the issues I have had to deal with as a Narrator is that some of my players at the start of the campaign had no experience of Glorantha and were nervous about playing in such a mythically rich environment with more experienced players. For this reason I have been deliberately running games that focus on clan life and obligation rather than combat. Many of the combats have been for the purposes of example or sheer game fun (such as the wild Trollkin attack). Whilst using a more challenging combat situation to test the Humakti has been and still is an option at this time it would rob other non combat players of game oppertunities when they are still getting a feel for Glorantha. This will of course change over time, especially as my personal clan Uber Arc has now begun.

In many respects the Berserk incident was just the tip of the iceberg and demonstrated that the character was not following the true path. This is still an issue with other characters in the group. The Lhankor Mhy is not yet really being a LM for example, but this drift is much less noticable or of an issue in game terms. Other issues can also be rectified in a much more subtle way by the Narrator.

>From a Narrators perspective I am well aware of my possition to veto
any character action that the player declares, but I am mostly inclined not to take this route. It is a short step from Narrating to playing their character for them, especially in situations where the rules themselves are not being abused.

I would like to again thank all of you who have posted oppinions and suggestions on this and to those who took time at Convulsion to talk to my lost sheep (or is that Raptor). I am now confident that he will never again turn away from a fight against undead chaos or go Berserk against lowly Trollkin.

BTW, thanks to everyone at Convulsion who tracked me down and said Hi. It's good to talk ;-)

Jarec