Re: Weregild

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:31:18 -0000

A thrysmas is 3 pence.

A cottar is a half-ceorl i.e. half the weregeld. As David points out a thrall is property and compensated on that basis.

IMHO Orlanthi clan chiefs are probably closes to earldormen, ring members to a reeve.

Not sure what the exchange rate for pence/cows is but I have some figures at home for Celtic weregilds that are rated in cows, and I might have some information on the value of a cow in law to allow some conversion. Drop me a mail if you want me to forward you this.

However roughly this makes a ceorl 793 pennies which at 100p(someone else's estimate to a cow is 8 cows. I am sure that you can figure the rest.)

> My main point is that the bloodline of a humakti won't pay
weregild. The dude is dead.
> So who pays? The cult of Humakt pays. If the death was in
>accordance with honour and cult goals, no way, and pity the clan who
>persists in its suit, given that a prime determinant of Orlanthi
>justice is how many dudes with swords line up behind you . But if
>it was a senseless and meaningless death,
> say an casual slaughter during a berserk spell, then yes, honour
>would induce the cult to pay, and it would not give credence to the
> devotee's action.

The closest historical analogue I can think of to those who do not have weregild paid by kin are members of guilds. The guild is repsonsible for half the weregild, the individual the other half in this case (from memory). Guilds replace kingroups for those that no longer live amongst them. Humakti might well follow a similiar situation.

I am not sure whether all I see all Humakti severing themselves from their kin. Devotee's sure, but all of them. Not sure I want to create a debate on this though.

Remember payment of weregild is not an admission of fault or guilt, merely compensation. It is fault free. Most people admit to a killing in such societies because failure to do so results in an accusation of 'secret murder'. Orlanthi Justice would impose weregild on Humakti the same as anyone else. Of course the trouble with weregild is you have to collect it...

The fact that the guild pays half (or with kin groups the fact that they also have responsibility for paying the weregild) creates a social pressure from the group to avoid bankrupting them by killing eweveryone who upsets you.

That said, I suspect that The Hidden Gale members have probably long since been declared outlaw by the lunars, so they would have no weregild and could be killed with impunity. Being declared outlaw exposes you to all sorts of risk. Much more likely in retribution for this act would be I suspect blood vengance by other members of the Hidden Gale.

Ian