Re: Re: Berserking Revisited m2

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:19:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> > With all due respect, I'm getting the shivers as I read this. I'm
> quite
> > certain my impression is wrong, but I get a very strong sense of
> enforced
> > gloranthan correctnes. So I'll say this anyway. Don't be fooled:
> There
> > is not one true glorantha, and there is certainly not one true
> humakt.
>
> Yes, but there is a difference between a good gamer and a good
> roleplayer. It's great if someone plays well to character, but if, in
> doing so, he ruins the game for other players (or Narrator) by
> killing off PCs or NPC, or wrecking the plot of a session they were
> enjoying, that's a bad gamer.

No argument here. Even though I from time to time like to play people who make the wrong choices for the right reasons. Buth then again, I'm a sucker for tragedy. But this was not the point that I was making.

What made me react was what I percieved as enforcing 'the party line' by saying that humakt is so and so. First of all Humakt is how you guys want him to be. And all statements about how his cultist behave is at best the orlanthi all (about 85%). I just wanted to say that not all agrees that humak cultists only use Death Song Berserk as a last resort.

And I fail to see how an humakti is erring when he goes berserk. Now I don't mean that a character who goes on a killing spree should get away with it. But it is his society that reacts. I would make a player that wanted to this aware of the concequences of his actions. But I wouldn't say 'thats not how proper humakti behave', because I belive that there is a huge span between how individual humakt cultists behave. Stereotypes are at best rough guidlines.

In my campaign humakti use it all the time. But I play it more like a fighting trance than the rabid madness of an uroxi. No frothing in other words. It is more a complete dedication to deathwielding. More like the RQ3 spell arrow trance if you've seen that.

As I said, I my campaign... :)

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen