Re: Berserking Revisited m2

From: Jarec Basham <jarec_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:54:54 -0000

> No argument here. Even though I from time to time like to play
people who
> make the wrong choices for the right reasons. Buth then again, I'm a
> sucker for tragedy. But this was not the point that I was making.

Sure, from time to time is fine. When you find that players stop coming to sessions because they are not enjoying the game then something is wrong. I for one have killed off other player characters when it was right to do so, but this should never become a game norm.

When player style is detrimental to the story then you have problems. Imagine if in Lord of the Rings Gandalf had killed Bilbo in the first chapter. He was certainly capable of it.

>First of all Humakt is how you guys want
> him to be.

With in reason, a Humakti with healing magic is definitely a bit off base.

>And all statements about how his cultist behave is at best the
> orlanthi all (about 85%).

True, in fact the point was made by Greg that Honour is not a Humakti thing, it is an Orlanthi thing. A Humakti from outside of an Orlanthi society would be considered and could be completely dishonourable.

> And I fail to see how an humakti is erring when he goes berserk.
Now I
> don't mean that a character who goes on a killing spree should get
away
> with it.

Sure, Humakt doesn't care. He just wants you to kill things. He also doesn't care if you die in the process. All he cares about is that things get killed.

>But it is his society that reacts. I would make a player that
> wanted to this aware of the concequences of his actions.

For the most part a Humakti wouldn't care about being killed either, so he would probably not care if he got a reputation and was tracked down and killed. The only reason a Humakti wants to stay alive is so he can kill more things. But in game terms a player does want their character to survive and that goes for all players not just the Humakti.

Jarec