Simple contests

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:55:10 +0200 (CEST)

As I see it no sane hero would want his contests to be resolved as simple contests because of the very remote chance of getting a result better then minor victory.

Harrek (10w4 Close Combat) would probably only get a minor victory against Joe Nosepicker (Close Combat 20): success vs critical.

I'm going to let 'unspent bumps' raise the victory level. Lets say that Harrek rolls 8 and Joe rolls 12 (marginal victory to Harrek). He uses one bump to get a critical (minor victory). His three remaining bumps are used to raise the victory level from minor to major to complete.

This system will only matter when opponents are at widely different levels of skill, so it shouldn't unbalance the game too much. And it is _only_ for simple contests.

Anyone see any obvious reason why this could be a bad idea?

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen