Re: Re: Simple contests

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:09:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Charles Corrigan wrote:

> > No matter how experienced he is he'll probably do no better than a
> > minor victory if I use simple contest.
>
> If it is important to the story to get a good result then use
> extended contests.

I disagree. your describing an ability test. A simple contest is supposed to be used when it is not important enough to spend a lot of time on it. Making good results harder to achieve is not part of it.

This is an aspect of the rules that is seriously flawed. The choice between extended and simpelt is supposed to be about how important it is for the story, not aboutlimiting the characters.

> > Take the rules for breaching the barrier into the otherworld. This
> > rules are completely broken when used in simple contests.
>
> Already admitted in the errata (_any_ level of victory is adequate to
> breach the barrier).

I know. But this is a problem with many aspects of the game. In effect no test that differentiate between victory levels is suited for simple contests. It is a serious flaw in something I consider one of the central features og Hero Wars; chosing how much time you want to spend on a contest based on how important it is for the story. Nothing less.

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen