Re: wergild; better followers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 07:48:23 -0700

Ian

> I suspect that The Hidden Gale members have probably long
> since been declared outlaw by the lunars, so they would have no
> weregild and could be killed with impunity.

I'm sure they are outlaws according to the Lunars, but being a Lunar outlaw does not have anything to do with your Heortling wergild! It would have to do with Lunar law, and probably deprives you of your right to a trial or to certain types of punishment.

Charles asked

> How should followers be used in the cases where:
> a - They have a rating higher than the player character?

Followers created according to the rules don't -- patrons do. If you're retrofitting existing characters, just let them.

> b - They have a rating in a skill that the player does not?

They can use the skill under the supervision of the player hero. (I frown on letting followers go off and act independently, they are intended to be minor characters and shouldn't be stealing the show.)

> Poorly written on my part, I meant where the Followers Close Combat
> is greater than the PC's Close Combat but still 12 less than the PC's
> best skill...

Ah, then I would simply add the follower's Close Combat AP to the (non-combatant) player hero's Close Combat. Even a bodyguard may not help that much in a fight! The focus should be on the player hero.

I suppose in some circumstances (especially in defense) I might allow the follower's target number to be used (in which case however the player hero is at more risk, since he would be treated as a follower as far as consequences go!).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein