stand-alone feats? (was Re: Four Magic Weapons subcults)

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:33:51 -0000

> At 00:18 +0000 2000/07/30, JEFFREY KYER wrote:
> > > An alternate approach is to consider them all one affinity. I
think
> >> this is wrong, since they aren't really related.
> >
> >They make sense as a set of stand-alone feats.
>
> How do stand-alone feats work?
> Do you learn and immprove them as "normal" abilities?
>
> Janus

They are like ordinary feats, but are not 'enclosed' in an affinity, hence my calling them 'stand alone'. They are pretty much the same as
being an ability that happens or a animist talent.

Improvement is like a regular ability.

Most such feats or abilities are provided by a hero's indicental skills (contact ancestors, sense danger, and things like that) or by a
small cult for a petty god or hero. Such minor divinities do not provide a full affinty but only a single feat for the worshipper to learn. The Hidden Gale Heroband gains their berserking combat feat that way.

Hope this helps.

Jeff