Re: Re: Four Magic Weapons; myths

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:52:52 -0400

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Me> > Master of Elements (Lightning Spear, Scarf of Mist, Shield
> > > of Arran, Sandals of Darkness)
>
> > This certainly maintains the obscure feat name doctrine (unless
> > you happen to be a Glorantha scholar).
>
> I don't see why users of these feats should know (or be
> limited to) the RQ versions of the spell. I'm certainly

I think he was referring to the earlier daitribe about "Stupid Feat Names" -- YOU know what Shield of Arran should do. YOU know what the Scarf of Mist does. But Joe Gloranthan newcomer is not going to know what to do with it. And that's the market we should be concerned about. I'd hate to see more Sunset Leap postings... =)

> not going to insist that the Shield of Arran can only
> be used as an infinite parry point shield or that the
> Sandals of Darkness can only be used as an invisibility
> spell.
>
> Which was my intention. It would be silly to hear an
> Orlanthi's proud boast that like his God, he is Master
> of the Elements and know that he can do sod-all. I'm
> not averse to Jeff's suggestion that in this case, the
> Orlanthi learn the feats first and then the affinity
> as the secret.

Yes. And making it an affinity saves a few points but I'd only let it happen AFTER the player learned all four feats and brought them up to some reasonable level (or a level at which he was willing to risk a HQ.

> Do the Orlanthi accept Moon as an element? I thought
> they would have treated it as Sky which is certainly
> a foe that Orlanth has defeated.

I'd think for the purspose of Orlanthi, Moon is not an element. And if it was, its not one they've defeated yet...

> --Peter Metcalfe

I'll let you know how it works out.

We've got a fellow who's stolen a march on me in the game anbd wants to see what he can do with these 'funky weapon feats' -- I love players like this. Truly makes a game worthwhile.

Now, to work out HOW to do it.

My own opinion is that if you can do *one* of the quests, you're going to get the affinity. No reason to be a total hardcase about it. Its not like it was 'hurl sheets of lightning bolts at will' or something.

Jeff