Re: Questions

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:06:00 -0000

> -Self healing. How is this possible in extended contests.

It would have to be an unrelated action, for a start, which means your opponent gets to act aaginst you while you are healing yourself...

> Say a character
> with Earthpower is reduced to zero APs i an extended contest. How
can this
> character heal himself.

You aren't necessarily wounded when you reach 0 APs, so you may not benefit from healing...

>Healing yourself seem very problamtic in any case.

in terms of generating APs from "nowhere", yes. You might let a character in a group contest make a simple "healing" role in order to continue acting below 0 in an attempt to get +ve AP's back, (I don't have a rulebook to hand and can't remember the technical term for this...)

> -How do you use flaws? As a straight reduction? As a resistance?
> Probably both depending on context.

Pretty much. You use them as you see fit at the time, it will depend on the nature of the flaw - lets say you have "Shortsighted 13" as a flaw - you could use this as a resistance for any sort of spotting roll, to generate a penalty for ranged weapon fire, or make an unnopposed roll to not notice something otherwise obvious...

> -Does it take an urelated action to improve an ability with another
> mundane ability? Using Strong to get an edge in Close Combat for
instance.
> The rules seem to indicate that it takes an action, while common
sense and
> the sample characters under Hero Bands indicates that it does not.

Opinion appears divided on this one, I am mostly on the side that says a character who is "Strong" shouldn't need to take time to augment his combat, though I do see the point of view that says he should "wind up" to a mighty blow... I think the best solution is to give a fairly minimal "Automatic" bonus, and allow them to try for a better one if time and/or circumstances allow.

The "Only one Mundane enhancement" rule would apply in any case, so a Character with "Strong 13" and "Hate Varmandi 17" could not claim a bonus for strong (whether automatic or not) and spend an unrelated action whipping up his hatred for a further bonus. (If the "Strong" bonus is given automatically, he replaces it with the bonus for the Hatred (even if the dice roll means he would be beter not doing so)