Re: close combat and ranged combat

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:42:42 +0200

Ian Cooper:

> Without wishing too spark up a thread that has already been examined
> closely, I am becoming very inclined to allow players to defend
> against ranged combat using close combat.

        Yes, it's how I've done it and it seems me reasonable. But I also used appropriate movement abilities.

> I'm thinking of producing a result
> table for defeat levels which reflects the defeat of an archer show
> is not actually in contact.

        I use the archer's level of defeat as an indication of the attacker's advantage when he finally makes contact. Maybe the archer simply runs out of arrows, or the attacker gets too close, so the archer drops his weapon and draws his sword (marginal defeat), or maybe the archer did not have enough time to change weapon and so is caught slightly off-guard (minor defeat) and so on...

        I also run the approach and the actual fight as two different contests, the second taking place only if the archer has been defeated.

 --
Regards,
Alexandre.

"Cinq milliards de races d'hommes sur Terre, Est-ce assez pour croiser le fer...?"