Re: close combat and ranged combat

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:42:17 +0200

Wulf Corbett:

> Of course, it's also hidden
> against the sky, above the eyeline, and anyway the archer gets a
> penalty for long range shooting... so maybe that's not important.

        Speaking of weapon's range, how does one use the rule on long range shooting? Since I use AP to track the distance between the combatants (well, since one contestant's goal is to close with the other contestant, what could AP represent? OK, fatigue, ammunitions or lack thereof...) how do they translate in meters (or keyards or whatever)? In fact I never took range into account, as there were other factors anyway, like movement, cover etc.

        But there are a couple of cases in the rules' implementation that IMHO are too detailed, given the game's general abstractness. This is one of them, the other is "positioning rule". IIRC it entails that you have to spend x AP for every y meters between you and the object of your attentions. But since AP take care of positioning, isn't it redundant? You just have to bet more... Besides how do I know how many meters there are between two opponents?

        It's not that important, I agree, but the less "rulettes" there are the better off I am.

        Any thoughts?

--
Regards,
Alexandre.

"Cinq milliards de races d'hommes sur Terre,
Est-ce assez pour croiser le fer...?"