Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Newton, Sarah <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:39:24 -0400

Hi everyone,

This is a delurk from a RQ / Glorantha fan of some 20 years (urk...) standing. I've recently had chance to playtest the HW rules for the first time, and thought I'd share a few views.

When we play Glorantha, the rules we use can fall into two camps. The first are purely mechanical, describing how actions are performed. The second explain how we deal with elements of Gloranthan reality in game terms.

For me the keenest example of the second is with magic. Both RQII and RQIII gave us Battle Magic / Spirit Magic - a type of magic which was widespread, relatively low-powered, and IMHO clearly understood and used by Gloranthans themselves. Schools existed to teach some of these spells which were external to cults and temples, and for me at least these spells had an objective existence to the Gloranthan mind. Sure, wee Orlgrim of the Apple Clan might not actually have used the words Bladesharp, Befuddle, Disruption or Fireblade, but they were definite magical spells he employed.

Also, when a character achieved the social / magical / game level of Rune Lord, or whatever, a new, different, and much more powerful type of magic came into play - Rune Spells, one-use or reusable, had effects which made mincemeat of most battle magic. That was one of the reasons Rune levels were so special.

Both these distinctions always seemed to me to reflect a Gloranthan reality. When recently playing HW, I have thoroughly enjoyed the new rules, the wonderfully flexible task resolution system, and found the combat system fun, participative, and effective. None of us had any trouble doing without hit points, hit locations, STR, SIZ, or CON!

For the magic system, though, it initially felt like the world had changed.... suddenly all those colourful battle magics had gone, and we ended up with three or four runic feats which we could only try and "improvise". For me, it felt like a poor man's fudge....

I went away and thought about this a lot. When RQII went to RQIII we coped with the changes - Rune Lord-Priests vanishing, for example, or magic point matrices popping up all over the place. But they were (relatively) minor changes. IMHO, I decided I couldn't just wipe out 20 years of Bladesharps, Protections, and Demoralise spells just because the rules said so!

So, we now have Battle Magic for non-devotees, the full spell list from RQII / RQIII, but divided up by runic association if possible. Initiates can have access to runic feats by improvising them - I'm running this similar to the old "one-use" initiate access to rune magic. My players have relaxed into the comfort of a magic system they feel they know - and know we're off to give Whiteye a thorough bashing!

Just my views - sorry it was so long. All in all, a big thumbs up for the HW system - just as long as it doesn't change the Glorantha we know and love beyond all recognition!

Thanks,

Sarah