Re: Magic Crystals & "Battle Magic"

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:50:40 +0200

Sarah Newton:

> Which brings me on to my old axe-to-grind - non-"Rune" magic in HW. I guess
> my big point in last week's posting was that there was always a qualitative
> difference between the magics which "Rune levels" wielded and those which
> lesser mortals did in the old RQII/RQIII - a difference which seems to be
> missing in HW and which IMHO disturbs the "Gloranthan continuum" my players
> are used to. Hence the need I felt to "plug the gap" with something
> analogous to the old Befuddle / Disruption / Bladesharp-style spells. It's
> also interesting, knowing how those traditional Battle Magic spells used to
> work, trying to reproduce their effects in the HW game - for me, it's
> pushing my imagination beyond the obvious augment/edge/AP transfer syndrome.

        IMO a "battle magic spell" is just an enhancement aiming low. Keep in mind that to obtain high enhancements you must be pretty competent in your ability, so I think that there still is a qualitative difference between "Rune Levels" and mere mortals. OK, the transition is smoother, but, as you say, the HW rules just provide a basis that must be filled by our imagination, which is IMHO how it should be.

--
Regards,
Alexandre.

"Cinq milliards de races d'hommes sur Terre,
Est-ce assez pour croiser le fer...?"