Re: assassination

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:52:50 +0100

We had a somewhat similar situation last session. The heroes set up an ambush. The Yinkin ambusher had plenty of abilities to rack up augmentations. IIRC, I let the Yinkin use his Cloak of Darkness item as an augmentation, and I've relaxed the rule of allowing only one augment. The other hero (an Odayla) tried to make a trap at the ambuscade, to further hinder the ambushee: another augment to the ambusher's ability (to no effect, it transpired). Relaxing that rule allows the Narrator to include all the preparations the assasin/ambusher wishes to use.

But the most important thing in the ambush was that the ambusher initiated the contest, and so limited the choice of abilities the ambushee (a draugr) could use. I ruled that the draugr's large Close Combat (Wrestle) was inappropriate; what's needed is a Perceptive or Quick Reactions ability. So the poor draugr had to defend the initial attack with a default ability of 6, with 6 APs. The Yinkin bid high, with the result of an initial Hurt. A Coup de Grace in the next round completed the ambush.