Re: Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 22:33:10 +0100

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:38:13 -0500 , "Tavener, Doyle W." <Doyle.Tavener_at_bakerpetrolite.com> wrote:

>> But of course, that was in the OLD Glorantha. Maybe the NEW Glorantha
>> is different. Maybe in the new Glorantha everyone just makes it up as
>> they go along.
>
>The following statements are _not_ meant as sarcasm:
>
>It is a role playing game. We have _always_ just made it up as we went
>along.

Some of it, of course, but other bits had rules, constants, comparisons, mutually comprehensible breakpoints. These are all fewer and farther between in HW than in any other RPG I've tried.

>I am terribly, terribly sorry that you do not find Hero Wars to your taste.
>I regret that it does not suspend your disbelief the way Strike Ranks and
>Rune Spells did.

I'm sorry, you must be replying to the wrong message. Or making it up to suit your own prejudices. I certainly never said anything of the sort, and never have done. I have maintained from the start that the Extended Contest mechanic is one of the best I've seen in a game system, as a matter of fact. It's not truly even the vagueness and lack of detail and definition that depresses me about it, it's the fact that all that vagueness and lack of detail is DELIBERATE. There is no example nor mechanism for dealing with archery, because no-one wanted there to be. There are no explanations of even the most vague Feats, because it was decided we'd all have to make it up for ourselves. And what do we get? Inconsistency, uncertainty, and, I am certain, the loss of many newcomers who see an incomplete game, further damned by unfortunate and unconnected printing and format errors. My complaints are not with the suspension of disbelief, they are with the continued attitude that if you're not good enough to make it up for yourself, you're not good enough to criticise.

>But in a list devoted to discussing the rules of the game, must I constantly
>receive reports of your dissatisfaction?

Yes. While I am permitted a voice, that voice will express my opinions. And, if you cared to read my other messages, you might notice that all my other reports were in fact positive, constructive, and possibly even witty.

Wulf