Re: Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener <dmtavener_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 22:53:41 -0500

Roy wrote:
>Tavener, Doyle W.:
> > >I am terribly, terribly sorry that you do not find Hero Wars to your
>taste.
> > >I regret that it does not suspend your disbelief the way Strike Ranks and
> > >Rune Spells did.
> >
>Wulf:
> > I'm sorry, you must be replying to the wrong message. Or making it up
> > to suit your own prejudices. I certainly never said anything of the
> > sort, and never have done. I have maintained from the start that the
> > Extended Contest mechanic is one of the best I've seen in a game
> > system, as a matter of fact.
>
>I love the kernel of the system also. that's not really fair surely
>Doyle?... for me it's more about HOW are people / newbies gonna get into it
>and turn into insane monkeys on this stuff...

The reason it is fair, Roy (if I may) is that Mr Corbett missed the point of my entire tiring tirade. Namely:

  1. Not having descriptions of feats was a conscious decision of the designer.
  2. It is more important to generate creativity among players and gamemasters than it is to know what a sunset leap is.
  3. Wanting to know what a Sunset Leap does is the same as wanting strike ranks. It is the desire for structure above creativity.

It does not matter if Mr.Corbett thinks that he has been cheated, lied to, manipulated, talked down to or that he disapproves of the dressing habits of Famous Game Designers. We can tell him it is for his own good all we want, but if he does not believe it, my game will go on, just fine, thank you, as will the campaign of anybody else who likes the game.

And how do we turn players into insane monkeys, you ask? The same way I turn people into insane monkeys when they play a round of mine in the Cthulhu Masters at Gencon, or when they play around a Pendragon round of mine the same con. I show them a good time, and I introduce them to a place that appears on no Gazetteer of Greyhawk.

That is how we do it sir, and not by bitching about something that will not ever, ever change.

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener