Re: Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:09:40 +0200

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Taverner:

> That is how we do it sir, and not by bitching about something that will not
> ever, ever change.

        Do you think that discussing new (implementations of the) rules, suggesting what we might like to see in future editions (which are going to happen, aren't they?) and maybe criticizing what we don't like, so that those who like it (hell, those who wrote it!) might explain us why do they like it (why did they write it!) is off-topic on this list? That it is useless?

        I like HW's system a lot. It's my favorite game, set in my favorite setting. I defend its design philosophy and love its cinematic approach. I think it fits perfectly well with my idea that you must play as if you were watching a movie or reading a book, so there is no problem for me if a battle is decided by "coolness" rather than by equipment. But that doesn't mean I can't criticize it, or make suggestions that, IMHO, help make it a better game.

        I'd like to see these suggestions at least considered, and maybe discarded, but I don't think that defending the system indiscriminately is a good thing. It's a kind of devotion I've only seen (as far as RPG are concerned) in D&D players, who are well aware of their favorite game's shortcomings, and so are afraid to discuss them.

--
Regards,
Alexandre.

"Cinq milliards de races d'hommes sur Terre,
Est-ce assez pour croiser le fer...?"