Re: Digest Number 216

From: david.boatright_at_...
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:42:31 +0100

>Another essential reality that any game designer
>given the task of writing a fantasy game must confront
>is the absolute market dominance of D&D. (If I had more time
>I'd go into my grand theory of why RPGs are more like the
>packaged goods industry than the rest of the entertainment
>industry.) But the long and short of it is that D&D owns its
>category (the fantasy RPG) -- it always has and always will.
>If anything, its dominance is going to accelerate in the next
>few years, although we didn't know that when HW discussions
>over three years ago.

This all true but Issaries' response seems to be stick your head in the sand and worse actually to verbally attack the people who are doing their best to support the game.

>The question then becomes which style preference to
>pick. I proposed the freeform, narrative-based
>style to Greg because:

I am fully behind this but we have to have _something_ to base this on. To have someone spend one second thinking up 'Spit Down Wind' and then bang it out on the keyboard is insulting. Either you leave the affinity blank, give the myth its based on or the writer of the feat or the playertesters give us some insight. Are they seriously trying to tell us not one playtesters has used 'Spit down Wind' or 'Sunset Leap'.