Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Steve Dempsey <eg0sum_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 11:45:26 -0000

I'm not so worried about what he actually calls the ability, it is well understood that it is the NUMBERS that actually show how well he can perform.

What you have given me is some guidance, some opinion based on your experience of HW. Thanks, BTW.

In many places in this newsgroup we encounter the dreaded phrase 'house rules', which is fine for an established group who know what they are doing but not much used to the rest of us, even if we did playtest an early version of the rules.

What I would like to see is more actual GAMING guidance. Most newbies are extremely confused about the difference between an Affinity, a Feat (about -3 AFAIK) and a Secret and when is it suitable to use an ability to get augmentation orcreate some wholly new effect (such as flight or healing).

If one is quite happy to wing it then generally you can muddle through in the end but this is not the case for many gamers. Greg can say 'f**k the numbers' but in the end, the GAME stands on those numbers, as you point out in the case above.

Steve