Re: Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:09:54 +0100

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener wrote:
> 3. Wanting to know what a Sunset Leap does is the same as wanting strike
> ranks.

No it is not. As someone has perceptively said: this is not Scrabble. 'Sunset Leap' is two words, a symbol for a thing in Glorantha. A player with a hero with a 'Sunset Leap' ability needs to know what that thing is, to act the part of that hero, and that player's Narrator needs to know likewise. Now, the true breadth of that thing might never have been worked out by any author of Glorantha, and there can be a shared construction of Glorantha by players and Narrator as they work these things out. But there still needs to be some guidance, or scaffolding (if you'd rather) for helping that joint construction.

I find it hard to believe you really don't understand this point. Are you just trolling? You say

> It is the desire for structure above creativity.

Firstly, the term 'Sunset Leap' does impose *some* structure and limit on creativity: the feat must have something to do with sunsets and leaping. The objections are that it it does not provide enough information for players and Narrator to SENSIBLY construct Glorantha together. Sure they could work it out, given enough time and ability. But if you really object to having some 'structure', why accept the tyranny of English words. Why not present the feat name in the original Storm Speech? Or not present them at all?