Re: skills questions

From: Steve Dempsey <eg0sum_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 09:15:29 -0000

This sounds very sensible and is what I will do. Ta.

> > Most newbies are extremely confused about the difference between
> >an Affinity, a Feat (about -3 AFAIK)
>
> No! Affinities are large groupings of magical effects (somewhat
> like Close Combat). Feats are individual magical effects.

I meant that, in gaming terms, you can improvise a Feat from an Affinity and the standard modifier is -3. I know it is somewhat of a heresy to talk about these things in game terms, dissociating them from the underlying mythology but players need this sort of information.

The mechanics of the system impinge on the way the game is played and hence how the world works. You can have all the myths and backstory you like but if you give out Rune magic by the point then that is what the CHARACTERS will have to know about. By this I'm suggesting that HW is a great improvement. However making the mechanics unclear does not necessarily create mystery and wonder in the game, it can lead to confusion.

Steve