Re: Re: Thunderstone

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:28:34 +0100

philip.hibbs_at_... wrote:
> Having a definitive list that says "Orlanth warriors all across Glorantha
> all have these four strictly defined abilities: ...." severely detracts
> from Glorantha, IMO.

Agreed. However, the Hedkoranth keyword in the rule book is part of the Heortling set of keywords, so what the Heortlings consider a Thunderstone to be is crucial here.

I think everyone would be happy if the book 'To the A Heortlings a Thunderstone is an X; to the B Heortlings it is a Y', where X and Y are carefully chosen to show the breadth (or lack of it) of meaning. For example, X =' a thrown or slung enchanted flint that explodes with a thunderclap', Y =' a huge boulder used to summon thunderstorms'. Players and Narrators could then explore the set of possibilities that are 'between' and 'near' X and Y.

Of course, word-count constraints are the real-world death of such hopes.

And we should not forget that some things will not have much variation: there are some places we should avoid if we wish to give our imaginations free reign. No Heortling clans (and that's an absolute none, not an Orlanthi none) institutionally worship chaos.