Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:59:58 +0200

> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 12:14:47 +0100
> From: "Roy Wiseman" <RoyWiseman_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

> Would it really destroy the concepts of Hero Wars or hurt anyone to ask that
> these things be defined? This does NOT destroy creativity, it sets up
> common parameters that everyone can understand. If it DOES destroy
> creativity then remove the rules references from Knowledge and Death
> immediately as this is destroying the freedom of the rules for those
> effects!!!
>
> ie. Orlanth: Combat
> -----
> Armour of Woad:
> At least write some common posible effects from this. Possibly
> "Commonly used to replace material armour with enchanted blue war-paint".
> Some minimal statistics of what might be expected ?

I will probably change it to "Enchant Woad" & try to duplicate its effects from RQ, i.e. give augmentation/edges against both physical as well as magical attacks, make it usable only naked, etc... I don't know the details yet.

> Enchant Iron:
> Generic ritual p.233
> Enchant Silver:
> Generic ritual p.233

Right.

> Flickering Blade:
> Sword becomes as a bolt of lightning (as on cover?) and blah blah
> minimal rules definition of what we might expect from this ?

The blade (of an axe, a spear, a sword, etc...) flickers toward the enemy which gives an augmentation or an an edge. Disadvantage: the more powerful it is, the more noisy & luminous it is because "electricity" is running along the blade. Only when a powerful Hedkoranthi uses his magic does the blade seem to become a lightning bolt & then *only* if it's a sword because the feat is called "Lightning _Sword_" & not lightning blade... (Funnily enough the Hedkoranth keyword doesn't give any sword ability ! Must be a mistake.)

> Leaping Shield:
> Description / basic effects? [maybe a few dozen ways I can interpret
> this from very simplistic to stupidly overpowerful...]

The shield (even though it is still strapped on the Orlanthi's arm) leaps toward the enemy's blows so that it gives either an augmentation to CC or a defensive edge. ( An interpretation of a feat can never be "stupidly powerful" because power depends on the target number of an ability & not so much on its effect. Maybe you were thinking of what Captain America does with his shield when he throws it with many rebounds toward his enemies ?!? I wouldn't allow it without big penalties because it smacks too much of Hedkoranth'Thunderstone to my taste, but YHWMV/YGMV as always.)

> Overbear Foe:
> Description / basic effects? [not really very clear...]

Berserkergang for Orlanthi ?!? Haven't decided yet... ;o)

> Swordhelp:
> Description / basic effects? [I don't have a clue...]

Augmentation or offensive edges to CC with any sword, but swords only ! Orlanth, the second best sword-fighter in the universe, is at your (virtual) side & gives you advice. Or maybe he sends you his best weaponthane, Humakt ?!? (Complete or major victory to your augmentation roll, your character gains double bonus: congratulations !!! ;o)

Christoph