Re: Thunder Rebels; myths

From: Steve Dempsey <eg0sum_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:01:45 -0000

> Steve
>
> >Perhaps some one in the know ought to take the list of feats and
> >describe the basic myth for the more obscure feats.
>
> Could someone explain the rationale for needing myth for feats?
>
> I perfectly understand wanting them -- we all want more Gloranthan
> myths.
>
> But if I know how I can use a feat in game terms, why do I need to
> know a myth that relates to that feat? (This is not an arguing
> point, I seek clarification.) Anaxial's Record has mythlets (or
> summaries of mythlets) for most creatures, and while this is good
> for greater Gloranthan understanding, it doesn't help me play a
> more fun game to know that Jenarong saved the dinosaurs (if I'm
> remembering correctly -- don't hold me to this).
>
> And to use Loren's mythlet, I'm not really any more clear on what
> Sunset Leap does. Do I have to be jumping to the Gates of Dusk? I
> can only use it for travel and not tactical advantage?
>
> Sure, it could be a plot hook to know that Jenarong saved the
> dinosaurs, but more myths in general would do that, and wouldn't
> have to be tied to anything in particular.
>
> Is asking for myths just a politically correct way of asking for
> feat descriptions?

Not at all. The myths are the very stuff of which Glorantha is made. A PC would know this mythlet and use it to direct his/her use of the feat. Not only does it tell you something about the Feat but also about the culture. It don't want a Sunset Leap allows you to leap 3 metres per point of Feat. This tell me nothing of its religeous significance. The way the PC learned the Feat in the first place was presumably on a hero quest/ritual that re-enacted the myth.

Funily enough I'm not quite so interested in myths for creatures, there is plenty written about them already to get a handle on most.

For example in Ralios, the Sunset Leap myth might tell of the way that Yelm fled from Orlanth as he was wounded. As the sun set in the sky, Orlnath lept after him and pinned his cloak to the ground as it passed over the horizon. He caught Yelm and slew him, turning the clouds red and bringing on the darkness.

Clearly this indicates a different local use of the Feat.

Cheers,
Steve