Re: Unhappy but adaptable Adept ! ;o)

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:05:50 -0000

John Hughes wrote:
> In Heortling mythology, Ernalda gave birth to BB Gor during the
Great
> Darkness, after Orlanth had made his sunset leap on the LBQ. Her
role was to
> protect Ernalda while she slept. Among her first enemies was Zorak
Zoran,
> whom she bitterly fought (and from whom she stole the axe).

I think that picking up on the affinity as well as the feat helps here:

Terror (Scream of Fear, Shout of Pain, Snarl Darkness, Roar of Command)

so it is related to BBG's ability to cause terror.

Now in HW terms that is enough to make it usable; it is a magical attack which induces terror. The abstract mechanics make it usable at that point. Agreed the darkness element is a bit more ambiguous, but I would suggest that with a lot of these feats including Sunset Leap it does not have to be used with the qualifier because that refers to the first use (up to you if you give it a bonus against Darkness).

Try removing the metaphorical elements if it helps

Terror (Fear, Pain, Darkness, Command)

So it looks like it is a terror attack that works especially well against darkness.

In a similar vain for Orlanth:

Combat (Swordhelp, Leaping shield feat, Overbear foe, Armor of Woad)

Armor of woad is a combaty ability; even if you cannot find out what woad is you could just reat it as 'Armor' - you know it is a combat abilitiy and as HW is abstract you just use it as an augmentation or enhancement. You don't need to know what woad is. Look for the combat aspects. The list would look like:

Combat(sword, shield, overbear, armor]

as for old friend look for the movement aspects:

Movement (Run Over Mud, Sunset leap, Run up cliffs, Burst of speed, Rock-jumping)
Movement (Run, Leap, Run up, Speed, Jumping)

'Sunset Leap' is 'Leap' so it is magical leaping.

Of course those metaphorical names might encourage you to give bonuses in certain mythically appropriate uses, but I don't think that it is prohibitive.

It is also a good model for creating new feats: "Windward Leap" would be a good new feat. It is just 'Leap' but I have added some colour and I could give a bonus for an appropriate use.

As for

Destroy Dara Happan Foes (Shout Away the Dead, Pierce Trolls, Spit Down Winds, Disconcert Monsters)

the affinity suggests

Destroy Dara Happan Foes (Dead, Trolls, Winds, Monsters)

of course the magical attack might involve a might spit, but you know how to handle it in HW terms it is an attack against Winds associated characters (that's you Orlanthi)

Ian