Re: Unhappy but adaptable Adept ! ;o)

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:41:22 -0000

As a follow up:
> as for old friend look for the movement aspects:
>
> Movement (Run Over Mud, Sunset leap, Run up cliffs, Burst of speed,
> Rock-jumping)
> Movement (Run, Leap, Run up, Speed, Jumping)
>
> 'Sunset Leap' is 'Leap' so it is magical leaping.
>
> Of course those metaphorical names might encourage you to give
> bonuses in certain mythically appropriate uses, but I don't think
> that it is prohibitive.
>
> It is also a good model for creating new feats: "Windward Leap"
> would be a good new feat. It is just 'Leap' but I have added some
> colour and I could give a bonus for an appropriate use.

Remember it is the affinity that is important. You can improvise feats within it at -3 (and they don't have to be the ones on the list). So you could just tell the player. You have movement affinity the kind of things it lets you do are:

> Movement (Run, Leap, Run up, Speed, Jumping)

but you are improviding so you are at a -3 penalty. If you learn 'Sunset Leap' which is a way you have practiced to leap to the Sunset as Orlanth did you don't ge that penalty, if you learnt 'Windward Leap' you wouldn't when leaping with the wind.

or

Orlanth gives you combat magic, you can improvise protecting yourself with armor at -3, but if you strip naked and paint yourself in woad feat it is not at -3.

This way you make life a little tougher by limiting feats, and you make your life a little tougher by figuring out what the names mean to you. I think that it is a personal feel thing for trhe players and narrator. For a simple game just treat the 'Sunset' or 'woad' as colour - the rules won't care.

HW is abstract - you don't need to the mechanics of each feat.