Re: Spit Down Wind

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:37:21 -0000

[SPIT DOWN THE WIND used to ground a flying foe...]

> I agree that's what it's FOR, but how do you USE it in an Extended
> Contest? In a Simple Contest it's... well, simpler. Any level of
> victory indicates trouble for the flyer, a Complete Success means
> THUD. But in an Extended?

I'll assume you are using it in an extended contest to stop your flying foe from escaping. You are using your Spit Down The Wind feat, and he is trying to escape using his "Fly" skill/ability/feat whatever.

On your turn you will enact appropriate rituals, (like spitting at him) and bid AP's. Success indicates he is having difficulty, loosing height, caught in a downdraught etc, failure indicates your magic appears to be having little effect, and he is getting away. If you drop to 0 AP's then your ritual fails, and you realise he has escaped you - if he drops to 0 AP's then he is forced to the ground.

A big loss on your part will probably leave you with a penalty to your "Combat Dara Happan Foes" (or whatever the affinity is) or possibly to all magic, the exact amount depending on how "wounded" you are.

A big loss on his part means he crashes to the earth rather than being forced to land. Maybe you can make a Coup-de-grace to embed him into the soil (or impale him on a tree....).

If you are using it to fight against a flying foe in a combat situation then either use it as a simple contest (Success, your foe is forced to the ground and must fight you from there, - failure they continue to fly), or use it to enhance your Close or Ranged Combat ability.

Does this sound reasonable?