Re: Re: Spit Down Wind

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:13:41 +0100

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:41:31 +0200, "Christoph Kohring" <ChOK_at_...> wrote:

>> I agree that's what it's FOR, but how do you USE it in an Extended
>> Contest? In a Simple Contest it's... well, simpler. Any level of
>> victory indicates trouble for the flyer, a Complete Success means
>> THUD. But in an Extended?
>
>Oh come on, Wulf, you can't be serious !?!

...the ball was in? I try not to be, there are enough people here too involved with their own fixed ideas on Gloranthan reality... (present conversation neither included nor excluded, dependant on future events :).

>You *do* know the answer to that
>one: in an extended contest the participants lose or win APs until one is
>down at 0 or below. Then we look at the consequences chart & we know the
>level of defeat.

Yes, yes, yes, exactly the same as every other Extended Contest. How very ho-hum :) And THAT was the origin of this thread - not what Spit Down Wind DOES, but how to make it, and other Feats, more original in their execution and effects. Simple Contests are more original, getting a specific effect from a specific feat, there and then, whereas Extended Contests, unless you use the same Feat continuously, are just a matter of draining AP down by whatever means until, finally!, you get an effect. Now don't get me wrong, I much favour Extended, always have, and I know every exchange can be described, but lets foster some creativity here. How would YOU pep up an Extended Contest to more than just a constant AP drain?

Wulf