Re: Thunderstone

From: RoySubs_at_...
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:18:19 -0000

> I agree, Frank. I've run out of things to say about it, anyway.

I totally agree also, as you could maybe tell by last dodgy posting...

I never thought that Tim Ellis and I could agree upon what the colour the Red Moon is, but I think I understand his point of view and that he may see where I am coming from also... maybe... ;o)

Tim:
> and since that is what is happening, what is your problem?
> Complaining that the short form descriptions in the HW book are not
> long and detailed, and then saying that you don't need long and
> detailed descriptions in short form writeups is somewhay
> contradictory...

misunderstanding. short for books, but I don't agree with the long format which if you look at the standard long format on the web site contains identical information on feats as the short format. I would like descriptions for long format to have more culture and meaninglfull description. no contradiction, I would like something that is not already there. I *would* like more details in books but can accept the constraints as long as semi-official details on the official site (or supplements) cover it.

> Empirical evidence suggesets that the newbies have an easier time
> time coping than the old RQ Grognards who run around saying "but
> surely you can only use Armout of Woad on Orlanths high holy day
> like it said in RoC..."
>
> (OK the Empirical evidence is based on a ridiculously small sample,
> and is not very scientific...)

Agreed that the one example I saw was quite favourable for the newbies, but as Wulf says I also worry that we will have people playing in a Glorantha that is not a *little* different, but somewhere closer to the Young Kingdoms or whatever if too much detail is ommited. ie. not really Glorantha.

> The "details" of why a jersey cow is different from a fresian
> is much less likely to be of use. Thus "Anaxials Roster" is
> good, "Anaxials book of Cows" would not be.

I think we both know I'm not saying that, Tim. Not saying I haven't been pedantic about some of the things you have said, but ditto for this ;o)

> That's not to say that more information about the cults (longform
> writeups, collections of myths, etc) wouldn't be good, or useful
> products. We might very well see them in the Regional/Players
> books. But if what you want to do is encourage those 2-3 newbies
> from your example who make it this far, you will stand far more
> chance if you are not constantly complaining about the lack of feat
> descriptions....

I worry about it. And I don't think that Issaries are "never, ever going to change". I don't think as an organisation that they are as rigid as RQ3 rules, but that they are more flexible as the HW rules are. I hope that they do look at all the points of view that they see on the various lists and that it's maybe considered as partly useful feedback. Better to express your POV now than to wait 5 years and comment then, surely?

See you out behind the the bins in the school playground and we can finish this discussion there Tim?... ;o)