FEAT:Leaping Shield

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 00:36:28 +0100

Leaping Shield is a Combat feat of Orlanth Adventurous

This feat has been mentioned on the list a couple of times, with the suggestion that it is a feat used to enhance defence (the shield leaps into place between the Orlanthi and the blow aimed at him) or to attack using the shield (the shield leaps at the foe) either in Close Combat, or Captain America style in Ranged Combat.

So just to be awkward I'm going to look at a third possibility. I don't think this feat is cast on the shield at all, I think it is cast on the Orlanthi and is used to breach a shield wall. The Orlanthi takes an unrelated action and then rolls a simple contest opposed by the opponents relevant Combat ability (or feat) and leaps towards their shields. If he is successful his feet hit the shield and he is able to push off and leap over their heads, landing behind them. Unless they have sufficient warriors to engage him behind the wall, they will need to break formation to turn and deal with him, thus loosing the advantages of the shield wall. (Obviously it's not a good tactic to use if the enemy is a phalanx several ranks deep!)

--

| Tim Ellis EMail tim_at_... |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations? |