FEAT:Unbreakable Shield

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 00:37:15 +0100

Unbreakable Shield is a Combat Feat of Babeester Gor.

I would expect this feat to normally be used to augment the users defence when fighting with axe and shield combat using the normal rules for augmentation (p134)

Cast in this way would require the shield be marked with appropriate runes. I would assume a Babeester Gor cultist's shield normally is, but would consider applying a penalty if it were to be cast on a shield picked up from a fallen foe, for example.

This feat may be extended (as per the rules on p232) - resistance of +10 extending the duration for 1-8 hours, which should be enough in most circumstances. Although this will generally result in a lower value for the augmentation, it has the advantage that no action is required in or immediately before combat to perform the augmentation, allowing the character the benefit when ambushed, or giving them time to use another augmentation before entering combat.

Since Cultists also have "Enchant Iron" and "Enchant Copper" it is possible for cultists to permanently enchant a shield with "Unbreakable Shield" following the rules on p233 which I would interpret thusly

step 1 - prepare the item to accept the enchantment - extended contest of Iron or Copper Shield Vs Enchant Item

Failure at this stage destroys the shield and may cause a penalty to the cultists Combat magic affinity

Step 2 - Fix enchantment - extended contest between Iron or Copper Shield Vs Unbreakable shield

Failure at this stage means the shield is unenchanted and unenchantable. It can never be used as a target for "Unbreakable shield".

Success gives the shield its own "Unbreakable Shield" at a score of 12

Step 3 - Fix Rank - A simple contest to determine the rank granted by the shield using the normal Augmentation results.

Failure here means the shield has no innate bonus from the "Unbreakable Shield"

The feat could also be used to resist feats like Humakt's "Shield Destroyer". This would probably be a simple contest fought in the middle of an extended contest combat scene, although I suppose it could be an extended contest on it's own before combat started.

An inventive player may want to use the feat to create a shield when they don't have one. I would charge an Improvisation penalty, and make this a new feat of "Summon Shield" or some such name...

--

| Tim Ellis EMail tim_at_... |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations? |