Re: Thunderstone

From: Steve Dempsey <eg0sum_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:58:26 -0000

Apparently the moment of revelation for him (Steve Dempsey) was Greg's 'Fuck the Numbers' remark.

So for some people, HW is vastly easier to run straight out of the box than RQ. I'm looking forward to thursday night, as I missed the session last week.

OTOH I fully understand that it doesn't work for you, however I now know of four people who were extremely dubious of HW before Convulsion, had only vague knowledge of Glorantha before hand, but are now in a regular HW game and are loving it.

In RQ, you realy needed to know a lot about Glorantha to get into the game, but HW is much more open. This means you can dip into the Gloranthan background as deeply or as shallowly as you choose. It's my conciet that Glorantha is a strong enough background to draw people in more deeply than they might initialy intend or expect.

Actually Simon you have got a lot of this wrong.

I have been running RQ since RQ2 in about 1985. I have run massive campaigns in RQ3 and Pendragon Pass, which I view as the superior product. These include almost all the published scenarios, even Eldorad, but not DoD! I have also run a heroquest expedition into Hell's Crack using PdP. I have all the TotRM, AH and RQ material too. I also played in a RQ viking game for about 2 years.

I thought Greg's FTN moment was funny rather than cathartic. Why bring out a game if you don't want numbers? All games have numbers, or an equivalent. I see Greg as more a storyteller than a gamer anyway. I'm firmly with MOB on this.

If I had never played RQ I just wouldn't have been able to run HW in Yuthuppa as there is isn't really much to go on in HW. There isn't a whole lot in the rest of the material but AH Glorantha has a few bits and pieces.

You missed a doozy last week, BTW. The players went to Torang in search of an orphan, required for a ritual by an elderly Rufelza worshipper. One of the PCs went mad in contemplation of the Moon and actually heroquested on her own. She doesn't recall what happened however. There is just no way I could have done that without vast RQ knowledge and some GM skill.

I'm finding it quite a struggle to stay on top of things. I did like the archery house rules you used but they are not in the published material, so I was't expecting them. What actually constitues a ritual, acceptable use of rituals, access to materials and sites for rituals and such are all very unclear so I just wing it.

My experience at Convulsion was that the GM didn't really know what to do either. It does help that I have players who are willing to roleplay, reducing the need for rules use and shifting much of the burden of making the game interesting on themselves.

HW has a lot of good things in it, presentation and ease of use are not two of them.

Steve