Re: Digest Number 232

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:42:40 -0400

> I ran my first Hero Wars session using the new published rules on Sunday
> night. I ran Chasing Kites, and the players bypassed most of the scenario
> by being clever, and also dealt with the raven swiftly by finding its
> secret hidden weakness.

Ah? Which one did they find? There are several. But the scenario was designed to reward folks being clever.

I hope you folks still had a good time? =/

> We didn't use any extended contest at all. No individual confrontation
> seemed important enough to devote the time to it - from the players' POV,
> there was always another way of proceeding if a tactic failed.

There is always another way! =)

> The way I see it, extended contests should be only used where the action is
> crucial. If you don't care whether that enemy gets away or not, and your
> only real concern is to beat him up, then roll a simple contest. If the
> player really wants to kill or capture him, then use an extended contest,
> because that allows the player to pursue the contest to a satisfactory
> conclusion, and takes the risks associated with that.

YES! Extended Contests are only for critical and crucal elements in the plotline. Heck, I don't even use extended contests on some combats -- especially if the Heroes outclass the opposition.

I try to err on the side of having fun, for some reason, rather than rolling endless piles of dice.

Jeff